Wednesday 17 April 2013

I DO WHAT I WANT ‘CUZ IT’S MINE


WELCOME TO THE URBAN LIFE, WHERE PLANNING SEEMS LIKE A FAR FETCHED DREAM

On my way home on afternoon, I fell asleep on the bus. I was also enjoying the traffic (!) which delayed my journey home allowing me to sleep longer. However, I was rudely awakened by this loud pounding noise. Awake and disoriented, I looked for the source of the noise. It was loud and annoying and quite disturbing. I looked out my window and saw a man pounding a truck tire rim in place with what appeared to be a sledge hammer. (I have no idea how mechanics work!) I was angry because whenever I am startled by loud noises, I awake with a headache. But then, I was amazed because one building down was the Chaguanas Health Facility. And my heart went out to all those people there who are ill and have to listen to this noise produced by the mechanic shop (which is large and highly serviced). On the rest of my journey and subsequent ones, I really looked and analyzed the layout of the borough of Chaguanas. I had to come to the conclusion that urban planning is the plague in Chaguanas. The people run from it.

(Used Car Parts Place)

I had the pleasure to be taught about the Trincity Millennium Vision Plan from one of the planners heavily involved. Subsequent to that, I had the honor to attend the Caribbean Urban Forum 2013 held in Trinidad this year. The thought process behind urban planning is enthralling. It’s a beautiful concept, seeing a city on paper and having it transform into a livable, real space. A place controlled and regulated. A place where everyone is allowed an avenue for expression, without over-shadowing a fellow neighbour. A place where everyone who resides within are comfortable, peaceful and happy.

Source: hclhomes.com

Chaguanas, and central Trinidad by extension, is a lovely place. But it is also a chaotic space with too many things vying for too little viable space. The Trincity Millennium Vision Plan had mentioned that “everything will have its place.” Small business will be together; residential will be separate and apart etc. I initially thought that was plain, bland and will lack originality. But, I reconsidered. It’s a logical solution to some of our urban problems. Discord and disharmony arises from little problems that build over time that can be prevented with a little planning.
In Calcutta along the main road I noticed a few contrasting things. There were at least 7 tire shops along a 15 minute drive; there is a mas camp located next to a temple; there is a bar next to a pre-school; there is a concrete block and cement wholesale business next to a residential area. The dust raised from that venture is impressive! I started to look for TCL nearby. So many clashing businesses along this one stretch. This pattern is repeated throughout our urban areas.
 
 
(Trucking Company in Residential Area)

What is most amazing about how and where people build in T&T however, is the fact that persons seem ignorant of the Town and Country Planning Act. It is “an Act to make provision for the orderly and progressive development of land in both urban and rural areas and to preserve and improve the amenities thereof; for the grant of permission to develop land and for other powers of control over the use of land; to confer additional powers in respect of the acquisition and development of land for planning; and for purposes connected with the matters aforesaid.” (Town and Country Planning Act, Chapter 35:01; August 1969).
It is law to pass through Town and Country Planning before erecting any structure yet most people don’t. It is about time that the authorities start to crack down on this; because, in the lapse time, we are ruining the livability of our urban areas. We are creating spaces that contain too many contrasting elements. They do indeed contribute to the character of the place but too much of anything is never a good thing. I will always refer to the statement that the quality of urban space is just as important as the buildings comprising it.
Urban areas are the places that are drawing people in expecting to give them a better quality of life. In turn, we are ruining the appeal of the urban by excessive, unregulated growth. We are sprawling instead of growing in a planned manner. This must stop before we ruin our urban. A small measure of control and by assigning space can and will do wonders for the value of the urban we produce. 

Conflicting Use of Space?
Source: skyscrapercity.com

Sources:
Urban Planning in Theory and Practice: A Reappraisal by AJ Scott & ST Roweis
Caribbean Urban Forum 2013 - Speakers Notes

1 comment: